Question
Posted by: Denalee | 2004/02/23

Progesteron

I am seven weeks pregnant and my doctor has sent me for two progesteron tests and wants me to go in a week again to have it tested again. He said that the levels must not drop, please advise why and what happens if they do.

I went for a Vaginal ultra sound on Friday and they picked up a cyst on my left ovary and two sacs, but only one baby, is because of this that the progesteron needs to be monitored.

Please can you advise as soon as possible

If you have had miscarriages before, this can sometimes be due to a low progesterone. A low progesterone might cause a miscarriage and you would be given progesterone tablets if this were the case. You may have the so-called 'vanishing twin' syndrome, where one baby of a twin pair does not develop.

2
Posted by: Tash | 2004/02/24

Hi Denalee,

Congrats on the Pregnancy !!

I had a Cyst in Jan, my Gyne gave me Progesterone tablets to shrink the Cyst (Primolut N), I asked the Pharmacist what it does and she said the same as the Gyne and that it stops your period. (im not preggis thou)

Hope this helps a bit.

Reply to Tash
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/02/24

Hi Denalee
Doc will be able to answer this but I know that progesterone is necessary to keep a pregnancy. Have you had any bleeding or is it because of the one fetus not developing?
I had slight bleeding at 6 weeks and used progesterone (Cyclogest) to keep my progesterone levels up.
Was supposed to use this till week 12 but gynae never told me so I continued to week 18.
Let us know how things are going - all the best!

Reply to Kippie