Question
Posted by: CJ | 2007/06/06

Professor of Neurology

Hi Doc. Could you please give me a name or contact number of a Neurologist or professor of neurology in Cape Town. I have motor neuron degeneration and would like a second (well informed) opinion.

Dear CJ
Prof Jonathan Carr at Tygerberg hospital Tel 021 933 8893

1
Posted by: Chrystal Coetzer | 2015/04/12

Dear Prof I have a major problem and am writing to u in desperation for help please. Since October 2014 I suddenly got these major body jerks. I am a very healthy 68 year old lady. Where did this come from. I have been treated by a government hospital neurologist in Port Elizabeth. Numerous blood tests were done. Also MRI for brain and spinal cord. All came back negative which is wonderful. So healthwise I am fine. I just cannot stop these body jerks/movements. I also have these flashes when my eyes are closed - like when taking photos with a flash. I have had total blackouts for just a second or so. Very worrying. I am now under the outpatients doc who has put me on rivotril. 2 mg per day. It does calm me down but the movements have started all over again. it has been recommended that I see a psychologist. Will this solve my problem. I am a very calm person with no worries whatsoever. Have been married to a wonderful man for 49 years. My bladder and back are now been affected too. Please help me. Are there any tests that can be done at your hospital that can diagnose where the problem lies. I cannot carry on like this anymore. I am not able to sit down and watch television now and cannot lie down. Shakes just happen for no reason. I am prepared to come to Cape Town for tests. Anything as long as I can be helped. I do not belong to a medical aid. I retired 2 years ago and financially this is not possible anymore. This is a plea for help. Please help me. My email address is chrystal.coetzer1@gmail.com My telephone number is 072 377 4449 My address is 27 du Plessis Street, Despatch (close to Port Elizabeth) Many thanks for taking the time to read my letter of plea. Much appreciated. Warmest regards, Chrystal

Reply to Chrystal Coetzer