Question
Posted by: potential genius | 2004/10/19

procrastination

I'm an intelligent 28 year old, I hold a Masters degree in International Relations, among other accolades. I am however stuck in a job I don't think I'm suited for. I would like a job that would ensure some financial resources once I stop working to write the book I've been saying I will write. I come from a country that is hostile to it's youth and the unemployment rate is soo high I should be greatful for the job I have. I have a child I'm raising who I believe should have the best. My problem is I need to stop postponing my dreams to later and work on them now. But how do I do so without going without meals? I think I'm more practical (realistic) than I ought to be and it's at the expense of my ambitions.

Dear pg,
I was going to write a brilliant solution to the problem of procrastination right here and now, but I decided to put it off till later.
It usually doesn't cost much to write a book, if that's part of your dream. I wrote and published my first book, during my final year of Medical School ( with the most horrific exams in the academic world ) and in my first year as a junior doctor, while working over 100 hours a week under stress. I don't recommend it, at all, but my point is, it's possible. And all the other books I wrote and edited, were done while I was working a busy full-time job. So one doesn't have to stop everything else, to be productive academically or intellectually. The best way to become an effective and successful writer, is to WRITE. Write every day, about something, getting practised and comfortable with doing it.
Other readers may have more ideas about finding a more satisfying job ; I'm not sure what options a mastrs in International Relations opens up. None of us can realise all or even some of our dreams at the same time, but we can, if we clarify what those dreams are, and then make sure that each day, in some way, we take actions, however small, that head in that direction.