Question
Posted by: LW | 2008/01/23

Problems with weight loss

I am a 52 year old woman, about 13 kgs overweight. I have an underactive thyroid and take Eltroxin, which my doctor has confirmed is at the correct dosage. I have always had a problem with being overweight and have successfully lost weight a couple of time with Weight Watchers. I find now that I am just having such problems shifting the weight, and am often hungry on the weight watchers plan. I started a high protein diet to try and shift the weight but am worried as a lot of people have warned me against it. I do exercise, usually 5 times a week at Curves. Can you advise me as I am really so tired of trying to get back to a normal weight

Dear LW
It is unfortunately true that it becomes increasingly difficult to lose weight as we get older. The underactive thyroid does also complicate matters. I am also not in favour of the high protein diets because they usually are also high in fat and saturated fat. If you can use a diet that contains more protein but make quite sure that all the proteins you eat are low-fat then you can use this type of diet. Have a good look at each item on your menu and then try to find a low-fat version. For example - full-cream milk - use fat-free milk; fried eggs - use boiled or poached eggs and only 4 per week; meat - use very lean cuts, pork or venison or ostrich and make quite sure that you do not add fat in the preparation; fish - concentrate on the low-fat varieties.
If this does not work then please consult a dietitian for a low-glycaemic index diet.