Question
Posted by: supastar | 2004/12/05

problems with skin disorder-Psoriasis

Im 19 years old and ive had Psoriasis since i was 3. Please could u give me some advice about UVB radiation; its cost factor; where can i have this treatment in the K.Z.N Durban area and do i need a prescription of some sort? Lastly pls could you refer me to an excellent dermatoligist in the durban area of K.Z.N[ pls include details such as a contact number]
thank you
Farina Loonat

Supastar, I live in Pretoria and have no idea who the good dermatologists in KZN are – a better option would be to ask your GP. The UVB treatment will be administered by the dermatologist and he will give you a drug that will make the treatment more effective if he thinks it’s necessary. Good luck.

1
Posted by: John | 2004/12/06

Try the Atkins diet - it cured the eczema I had since birth. Dermatologists are of no use for this condition and all drugs and treatments lead nowhere.

There are reports that taking 100mg of zinc daily works quite well.

If you choose the dietary route then you need to be patient - depending on the severity of the condition it may take +3 months to see results. I am now 35 years old and have been eczema free for about 3 years. You wuill have to restrict carb intake for the rest of your life so it is a lifestyle change. I do however now and again have some carbohydrate rich foods without any ill effects.

Reply to John