Question
Posted by: Debruyn | 2003/03/21

Problems with getting and maintaining erections

I'm a 56 year old gay guy. I find it difficult, if not impossible to get an erection at night. I can get them in the mornings, but they are not as hard as they used to be. I smoke between 18 and 25 cigarettes a day. Is this hard-on failure because of my age or is there an underlying cause? I know there are guys of my age who don't seem to have this problem.

If so, can it be cured? If so, how? I don't want to have to take Viagra or use sex aids.

Debruyn, you have to remember that cigarettes cause more than just lung cancer. It can cause narrowing of the arteries and if this happens to the penile arteries, it can cause erectile dysfunction. There might of course be another reason, but I won’t be able to tell without examining you first. The best would be to see a specialist physician and if he can’t find anything wrong, to see an urologist. Good luck.