Question

Problems with gas and bloatedness - always

Hi, my problem is that I always have gas. I know it is normal to do this 14 times a day, but mine increases at night it seems. What worries me a little is that sometimes it sounds like the "fart" is very gurrgly and bubbly and can last for a few seconds - it does smell most of the time. After eating or drinking sometimes my stomack growls and makes these funny noises - heard clearly by anyone standing close enough. This only occurs sometimes though, but the "farts" are constant. I eat pretty normal stuff. I try to stay away from bread. I drink one coffee a day. I do not smoke, drink ocassionaly only. I do not drink fizzy cooldrinks alot. I try to drink water at least 2 glases a day (which is not enough I know). Could this be from eating too fast? I've heard that drinking water with some Apple vinegar before meals will also help? At the moment I do not take any form of medication for this. What is causing this? And how do I control it? Should I use medication? Just another note: I cannot burp. When I do it is purely by accident, I do not know how to (and trust me, I have tried) Could it be that if I could "burp" out the excess gas, the farting will stop?

Dear Anon
I think it is important that you should have a medical examination to determine what is causing this buildup of gas and the bloating. There are many conditions that can cause such symptoms, e.g. irritable bowel syndrome or spastic colon, food intolerances or allergies, gall bladder problems, ulcers, lack of digestive enzymes, etc, so we need a diagnosis before we can make dietary changes.