Question
Posted by: Jaco | 2007/12/10

problem urinating before others

Hi.

I have this problem with using a urinal at school and at malls when there are other guys already using it. My bladder would be bursting but I would be unable to release. When I'm already busy urinating then it doesn't matter if someone would come in or even use the one right next to me.

You can imagine how difficult this is for me since these places are usually very crowded. What can I do?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi jaco,

this type of performance anxiety is actually quite common amongst guys. To be honest with you, I am amazed in this day and age that men are still subjected to this kind of lack of privacy in public toilets. One way of dealing with it is to use a cubicle instead of a urinal.

The other approach is safety in numbers - i.e. get used to urinating with people you know - sounds a little odd maybe but if you are relaxed, you can also tell yourself that this is fine and you can do this.

Mentally, it is about overcoming an anxiety by practising something to the point where is doesnt create a fear in you anymore. It is the anxiety that stops you from urinating, as our body does not want to stop for a pee when the signal is to get ready to run away or fight (fight or flight response experienced when we feel anxious).

Some guys really battle with this and if you have a close friend you can confide in it may be easier to talk about it and become less anxious about the problem and it therefore loses its control over you.

In the mean time consider using the cubicles until, you feel ready to tackle the situation.

3
Posted by: STALLION | 2008/01/24

Jaco and others,

Your "problem" is not unique or something to worry too much about. Young teenage boys are probably still shy about the recent increases in the sizes of their penises during puberty. They are unsure how their sizes compare with others. Small boys in primary school do not really encounter this "problem".

I have installed an urinal in our main bedroom at home because I find it easier to stand there in stead of at a toilet. You know how women can complain when they find a single yellow drop on the ceramic rim of the toilet bucket.

My wife has the habit of at times giving me a loving touch on my butts when she finds me standing at the urinal. When she does that my flow will immediately stop. I believe that the slightest interference will result in a man not being able to release his urine.

But I also understand that if your friends always see you standing in the cubical and avoid standing next to them at the urinals, they may soon start gossiping about your "small penises that you are hiding". You will preferably need to overcome your hangups and join the others at the urinals. Otherwise your anxiety and closed taps are going to stay with you for the full period of your life. Men share facilities at universities, colleges, working places, etc.

I have once read an article about a survey of the fears that men in general carry. The fear of not being able to release a stream of urine pitched quite high on the list. The "problem" is encountered widely.

The advice given by the teen expert is probably the best that you can try to follow.

Reply to STALLION
Posted by: TT | 2007/12/11

I have the same problem. Me and my friend spoke about this and funny enough he has the same problem. We are now able to stand together at the urinal without a problem but if someone else is there its kinda like instinct we use the cubicle!

Reply to TT
Posted by: Chris | 2007/12/11

Jaco,this happen to mean all the time when I use the toilet,the best that I find was that to use a cubicle.When you at a urinal and to use that in stead, try to relax and tell yourself that nobody is looking at you.That is what I find.

Reply to Chris