Question
Posted by: Reinet | 2004/10/20

Problem Pregnancy and Birth divects, my chances of reocurince

I was pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl. At around 12-14 weeks we found out that my son's stomack didn't close and all of his intestines were outside if his body. We went to see a Dr. Lou Pistorius and foud out that he also had a verey bad degree of Spina Bivida and his umilical courd had only 1 vain. His amniotic fluid was alson must less than his sisters. His sister was 100%.
At 24 weeks a got Plasenta Privia and was hospitilized 3 times for bleeding. They could not mesure my son any more because he didn't have space in his bag any more. After that I was on strickt bed rest. At 30 week I started leaking water (we foud out later it was from my sons bag) and having kotractions. They tryed to stop the contractions but the next day (25-03-2003) I had a very bad infection and I had an emergincy c-section. My son was 860g and lived only for about 40 minutes. My daugther was 1.52 and is doing well. I would like to have more children but i have some questions that need to be answerd before i can have another child.
My questins is as follows:
1) Is there a birth defect that has all of this factors of my son, if ther is wat is it called?
2) What is my chances of having another pregnancy and a baby like my son?
3) What is my chances of having twins again?

Your chances of twins are slightly higher than someone who has not had twins but very unlikely.
The possibility of recurrence depends on what type of syndrome he had if any. The chances are however still small that it happens again