Question
Posted by: helper | 2004/11/14

Problem child

I wonder if you can help me. A family friend has a young boy of 10 years old. He steals the other childrens lunches and hits them and etc. He is extremely naughty and rebellious.
This boy probably needs help- well, I am certain he needs some sort of help.
Problem being these people cannot afford therapy or anything like that...They live in Vereeinigin- (sorry not sure of spelling)- So what would be the best method of finding some free councelling or something like that- should they phone lifeline, or their local university? I am not sure how to go about this. What can you recommend?
Thanks so much Doc!

You're probably right that he needs some kin of help, as such misbehaviour, though often thought of as just an early manifestation of criminal tendencies, can be a way a child acts out, and draw3s attention to himself, when unhappy, for whatever reason. They can call Lifeline which should at their local branch, be familiar with counselling facilities near them in Vereeniging. Their local university might be Wits or RAU, and thus some considerable distance for them to travel, but could also be a possible option. Also explore what might be available through the school, as the Education Dept is supposed to provide some psychological services for troubling kids ( not that this necessarilo means that the Dept will actually provide what they ought to provide. )