Question
Posted by: miz | 2007/07/27

problem

MY CHILD IS AROUND 3 YRS.he doesnt drink cows milk r buffalos milk.........but drinks soy milk!
is it harmful?

Dear Miz
I am not sure where you live (which country?) as buffalo milk is not generally available in South Africa?? This means that I don't know what the soy milks in your country contain (e.g. added calcium, vitamins, etc). In South Africa, soy milks are usually fortified with calcium so that they are similar to cow's milk and children can drink soy milk without developing calcium deficiencies. Check on the labels of your soy milks and see if they say that they have added calcium (100 mg calcium per 100 ml is a good amount). If your soy products do contain calcium then it is fine for your son to drink soy milk, if not, then you need to ensure that he takes a calcium supplement designed for toddlers, otherwise the development of his bones and teeth may suffer.