Question

Problem

Dear Doc,

Please can you give me some advice. My son is turning 10 in September and is still pooping in his pants - well it is not an actual poop but a large mark - it is almost like he knows he needs to poop but holds it in and a little comes out. We have asked him numerous times why this happens he either tells us that he did not know he needed the toilet or he was too busy playing to go to the toilet. We took him to our GP to check that maybe he could not feel the poop but the GP said that their is nothing physically wrong with him. We have tried grounding him and talking to him about it but it is still happening - maybe once or twice a week. He goes through phases when there will be 6 months without anything and then it starts again. Please help us as we are so worried about this.

If you'll check the archives of this forum I've responded to similar questions several times recently. At this age this is rather uncommon, as we see it more in younger children --- but i'd be wise to take him to see a good local child psychiatrist or child psychologist for a proper in-depth assessment of what might be going on, Various forms of stress, at home or at school can be related to such loss of control. You say he is STILL pooping in his pants, which suggests that he has never been fully continent, rather than that he has recently stated soiling himself having not done so for some years.