Question
Posted by: Granny | 2007/05/18

Probiotics and Babies

My grandson is 15 months old and uses a lot of anibiotics because of cronic tonsilitis. The peadiatrician said I must use a lot of probiotics with the antibiotics to prevent tooth decay. Can you please suggest what I can give him?
He eats a lot of veggies and yoghurt every day, is there any spicific yougart that I can give him?

Thanx for your time

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Granny
You should try him on Reuteri, it comes in drops or chewable tablets (which he may easily cope with now) and it only has to be given once daily. Available from most pharmacies. New research suggests that Reuteri does in fact work against the bacteria in the mouth that cause tooth decay as well!
Woolworths have in my opinion the closest to a true probiotic yoghurt (Howaru). Just check than you use it by the “use by” date otherwise you will not be sure that you are giving an adequate probiotic dose.