Posted by: Maasma | 2008/08/04

I understand probiotics are good for the body and yoghurt is one of the food that contains probiotics. However, my problem is that when ever I eat yoghurt continuously for about two weeks, I start having some yellowish discharge and it makes me feel very uncomfortable (I usually eat one (1) 100ml yoghurt daily). Is this normal? I' m a 35-year old female.

Dear Maasma
I must admit that I have never before heard of individuals developing a yellowish discharge and feeling uncomfortable when they ingest probiotics either in tablet form or in yoghurt. It could be a coincidence that you experience this discharge which may be caused by a vaginal infection at the same time when you eat the yoghurt. I can only suggest that you have a medical examination preferably by a gynaecologist to determine what type of discharge you have and to prescribe the necessary medication (e.g. antifungals) if this should be necessary. Mention the fact that this discharge seems to occur when you eat yoghurt to the dr. Once the discharge has cleared up you can try using yoghurt again and we can see if the discharge recurs.