Question
Posted by: mel | 2007/04/10

PROBIOTICS

I have been using probiotics for the past 2 months. Eversince I have started using it , the constipation has become worse. I think that I do suffer from IBS.
I might go every 4/5days, but since I have used Probiotics I am suffering from severe abdominal pain. I wake up 2 o' clock in the morning.I have got a problem with gas as well. I have read that there's no side affects to date. My question what can be the cause otherwise? Probiotics is suppose to help!!

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Sorry about the late response Mel. One side-effect of Probiotics reported by patients is slight gas or flatus.

Probiotics should not cause any other side-effects like abdominal pain for example or severe constipation. Perhaps some other factor in your diet for example has also changed? Which Probiotic have you been taking, did your Dr. recommend it?