Question
Posted by: Tye W | 2007/02/19

probiotic drinks/yogurts - too much

I suffer from IBS now and again. Have had 5 courses of antiobiotics from November 2006 (metridazole and amoxicillin) for persistent dental infection at wisdom tooth. Wisdom tooth now removed but over this period and more recently IBS has been quite bad.

I eat at least 5 fruit or veg a day and in general have a healthy diet and exercise. I do eat at least 3 probiotic yogurts a day - could these be the cause of the bad IBS or do you think that it could be related to the antiobiotics.

Dear Tye
The probiotics and the yoghurt should both improve your IBS. I think it is the antibiotics that have destroyed the 'good bugs' in your digestive tract which is making your IBS worse. It may take awhile for the colon to settle down again so give it time. If necessary you can also take Bifidoforte (buy at chemist) to recolonise your bowels with good bugs.
Hang in there