Question
Posted by: Pauline | 2007/05/15

Probiotic

HI

My husband and myself take the multivitamin Bestum, does this have enough probiotic in it to be effective?

I give my little one the Solgar multistrain probiotic is this a good make? If on antibiotics can you increase the dosage during that time, as the healthcare lady told me that by increasing the recommend dosage you can cause diarrhea.

Pauline

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Pauline
It is generally accepted that a dose of 100 million - 1000 million (colony forming units) is an optimal dosage for probiotic effect.
Some products contain more than this, often just because the strains in the particular product may be sensitive to the acid pH in the stomach and thus some are destroyed in their passage to the intestine.
The crux in choosing a product is to get advice on which one has been thoroughly tested and is clinically proven to work at the dose stated on the pack.
In a proven product you should not need to increase the dose while on antibiotics, it is advisable to continue with a probiotic for a few days after finishing the antibiotic course however.
Having said that, increasing the dose of probiotics should NOT cause diarrhoea.