Question
Posted by: Sasha | 2007/12/24

PROBABLE MITE INFESTATION AT HOME

HI,
IS THERE A PRODUCT THAT MY PARENTS COULD USE - MAYBE A SPRAY OR DIP BUT SOMETHING NOT TOO DAMAGING TO THE HOUSE MATERIAL - TO COMBAT A MITE INFESTATION.
I BROUGHT HOME A RABBIT THAT WAS IN RECOVERY OF A MITE INFESTATION. THE RABBIT HAS BEEN SENT AWAY FOR 2 WEEKS NOW. EVERYONE AT HOME IS ITCHING. A PRODUCT YOU CAN RECOMMEND FOR THE BEDS, FLOORS, AND LEATHER SOFA.

ALSO ARE THEIR SPRAYS OR DROPS, ETC. THAT CAN BE USED ON RABBITS TO PREVENT EXTERNAL PARASITES ATTACKING THEM, LIKE FRONTLINE FOR EXAMPLE THAT ARE USED ON CATS AND DOGS.
THANKS.

Usually mite infestation in man from rabbits is self limiting when the animals is treated as the mites must live on the rabbit to propagate. The mite inferstations are usually treated with 3 or 4 injections at 7-10 day intervals.

Frontilne is toxic to rabbits so please don't use it!

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/24

I have no idea what type of mites infest rabbits - I do know that dog mites (which cause mange) do affect people too, only they don't cause mange (or scabies) in humans because they have to be on a dog in order to complete their lifecycle.

I would recommend that you ask your vet about how to control rabbit mites, and that you ask your doctor regarding what you could use on your human family. I would suggest further that a decent insecticide - or even those 'room foggers' should do the trick to get the house habitable again - but you would have to make sure a) that you get enough foggers to adequately treat the house - the can will tell you what size area it will treat - no point in economising on this - and b) remove any pets, including fish, and most especially birds, before you treat the house. Alternatively you could have the house fumigated. Whatever you choose to do, you MUST get whatever your doctor recommends to treat your family as well, because otherwise you will end up in a vicious circle.

I doubt that frontline and similar products treat mites - they're formulated for fleas and ticks - but I'm not 100% certain of that. I also don't know if it's safe to use them on rabbits.

Good luck with this itchy problem.

Reply to Chill