Question
Posted by: Helen | 2003/03/05

Pro's and Con's of HRT Implants

Please can you help me with this information. I am a Woman of 57 years old and have been off HRT replacements for the past two months and have had nothing but negetive effects. I wish to have an HRt Implant but would like more information concerning this.

The implant is oestrogen only, so suitable for women who have had a hysterectomy and do not need progesterone as well. It is inserted under the skin, usually every six months. It's protective effects in terms of symptoms, osteoporosis,etc are similar to the HRT tablets. Side effects vary but may be slightly less overall. Over time, women do tend to develop tolerance to it, so that side effects may occur before the six months is up.