Question
Posted by: Selaine | 2004/10/04

Primary Lateral Sclerosis

My mother has been to two different neourologists, because of her lost of balance and difficulties in speech. She is only 58 years old, but is acting like a 80 year old lady (with due respect).
She walks like a drunk and her speech is slured - by the way my father is an alcholic which causes her a great deal of stress.
All the test done by the neurologist came back negative, except for a maybe on the last test. The neourologist said he may detect a sign of "primary lateral sclerosis", and we as a family have no idea on what it means. Please can you explain to us what this means.

Selaine, it is a motor neuron disease of unknown cause. It is characterised by progressive degeneration of nerve tissue. This leads to increasing signs of muscle stiffness and weakness of limbs. Later on there might be fasciculation and muscle atrophy. Multiple sclerosis, spinal compression and brain tumours may cause the same clinical picture and need to be ruled out. That is about as much as I know, but you’re welcome to ask if you have more questions. Good luck.