Question
Posted by: PRICKLY | 2003/01/11

PRICKLY PEAR AND IBS

I have read that cantaloupe, banana, and grapes (including any dried fruit) should not be eaten if I have IBS. I have started eating prickly pears recently but cont find any nutritional information on this fruit. Is it alright to consume this fruit with my condition and what nutrients other than Vit C does it provide. (Can it cause constipation?). If soluble fiber is fermentable in the large intestine, would this cause bloating and constipation. My lower abdomen is ALWAYS bloated and I don't know what foods to cut out? Do all foods have some form of soluble fiber?

Dear Prickly
I would strongly advise against eating prickly pear as the pips can cause problems in bowel disease and cause pronounced constipation. Prickly pears are sometimes used by individuals with chronic diarrhoea to counteract this condition. If you are having problems with controlling your condition, it may be a good idea for you to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) for the name and address of your nearest dietitian). It is really worthwhile to have an individual diet worked out so that your personal reactions can be taken into account.