Question
Posted by: Claudie | 2008/01/16

preventing further food allergies

21 yr old son had diarrhea 7 months ago. Was initially diagnosed with candida. Had coloncoscopy 4 months later and candida is now clear. Has since become allergic to wheat and corn. How do I prevent further food allergies? How do I know when his flora is balanced? How do I maintain his weight? Will he become de-sensitised to the wheat and corn if he stays away from it for 6 months? When can I introduce sugar? Thanks.

Dear Claudie
I think that it is important that you consult a clinical dietitian for a toddler diet that avoids all wheat and maize. This is not an easy diet to apply because so many commercial food products contain either wheat or corn or products made from these grains. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You can certainly give your son probiotics (beneficial microorganisms) such as Bifidoforte or Bifidoflora (buy at chemist or health shop) to ensure that his flora are healthy. If he is on a wheat- and maize-free diet he will gain weight. There is no way to predict if he will become desensitised to these allergens or not. You can do a so-called 'challenge test' with a very small quantity of either wheat or maize after say 6 months - if the diarrhoea returns then he must remain wheat and corn-free for another 3-6 months, after which you can repeat the challenge. You can introduce sugar at any stage, but use it moderately as he needs to concentrate on nutritious foods right now. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1
Posted by: john | 2008/01/17

The way to prevent food allergies is to not eat the stuff you are allergic to
When you avoid the foods you are allergic to for a long time and then have them again in small quantities you will find out very quickly which foods your body does not want

As for candida you need to follow a diet that is carb restricted i.e have foods that have very low carbohydrate content
Atkins diet is one of the low carb diets

Also need to avoid fruits that are high in sugar
After following this diet strictly for a long time (more than 6 months) your body will then tolerate these foods in very small quantities but the days of having a diet high in gluten are over if you are allergic to it

Reply to john