Question
Posted by: nadia | 2004/10/13

preventing asthma in unborn child when there is family history

if i have asthma as well as my father and my eldest son, how do i prevent my unborn child from developing asthma. i specifically want ot know what can be done whilst i am pregnant. i know that lifestyle changes can be made after the chld is born (remove risk factors such as pets, dustmites and smoking and pollution) but is there anything i can do before the baby is born

Nadia, it has been postulated that maternal exposure to allergens like pets, dust, cigarette smoke, pollen, etc. can lead to an increased risk of asthma in the child that is about to b born. The “good” news is that you’re asthmatic and are probably already avoiding all those things.
As far as I know there is no safe drug you can take to lower the baby’s chances of developing asthma one day. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Liesl | 2004/10/14

Hi Nadia
I am asthmatic and gave birth to a healthy son 21 months ago. It was one of the questions I asked the doc & gynie about, would my child inherit asthma. Both said that it will only be known when he is about 3/4 years old. What we have realized is that he is allergic to milk and when he gets a cold, his chest is very wheezy, but the doc says it is just a post-nasal drip. So far he seems fine. I am also interested to see what the cyberdoc take on this is. Good luck.

Reply to Liesl