Question
Posted by: SR | 2005/07/21

Pressure Pressure, building up in me

Parents treating have this desire to control everything in my life from property, to salary to the girl I get.
They have an image of me as their perfectly raised son & I can see their pride when we are together on public.
I want to tell them to leave me alone since I'm 23 now.I just feel that I'm near explosion levels.They are very near to triggering that.I'm so frustrated.How can I solve this?

At 23, why not just move out from home, and evade their interference, even if it means for a time finding a work-or other friend to stay with ? DON't shout it out when you're feeling very angry at them, but choose a quiet time when you can be calm, and explain how you feel, and that it is essential to you to be able to feel independent and not to be so controlled by them.

5
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/22

But 19190 sounds like dog man - go read the nick slowly out loud......

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: SR | 2005/07/22

ALL = No that was not me, I think the poster was either thinking of me when they posted and put my name down or it is a new SR :-)

Reply to SR
Posted by: lady nina | 2005/07/22

it does sound like male23....

it's only natural for us parents to brag about our kids and it's the biggest complimant if they turn out good people

yes you have set a very high standard and that not good, beucase you are bound to fail sometime

is there not a way that you can invite them for coffee and just let them know how you feel, i promise you they will understand because they love you so much and know that they will love you even if you do slip up, they love in not conditional

i'm guilty of the same thing and will tell my girls more times that i'll love them just as they are... we parents are also learning daily

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/07/21

This doesn't sound like SR to me!

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Sue | 2005/07/21

I think you need to tell them how you feel. Dont lose your temper and then have your say otherwise you will hurt their feelings and a big fight will start. Just be calm and let them know that you are young and independent now and you also need your own space.Sometimes parents get carried away. My son is 18 yrs old and I love him to bits as well and sometimes he tells me that I smother him and I need to back off and yes, he gets very irritable with me. God forbid when he brings home a girlfriend.

Reply to Sue