Question
Posted by: Comrades Junkie | 2004/01/27

Preparation for Comrades

Hi..

I would like to run the Comrades this year. The only minor problem I think there is, is that I havent started training for it yet. I am a bit unfit, I can still run about a 10km in about an hour, and be fine the next day. Can you help me with a training program that I can follow in getting fit and ready for the comrades this year. I believe my body will be able to handle the pressure. Hope you can help.

Hi Comrades Junkie

If you want to maintain your title as Comrades junkie - I recommend strongly that you DON'T try to do Comrades this year. As a sports scientist and a keen runner myself, this is the only ethically correct choice I can recommend.
Sure - you might be able to finish the race, but chances are high that you will injure yourself. either in training or in the race and be off running for a LONG time. So I am NOT going to give you a programme or tell you where to go for one, since it would require me to be unscientific and to advise you poorly. Rather get a good base this year, perhaps do a marathon in the second half of the year (which could be your qualifier for next years race, and embark on the 2005 Comrades, well-trained, well-prepared, injury free and ready for an excellent race!

Be sensible now - and it will pay off for years to come.