Question
Posted by: Ria | 2005/06/27

Prep for operation

i am due to have a carpal tunnel surgery next Wednesday, what do i do to prepare for surgery i.e. is it true you should stop taking Vitamin E supplements one week before an operation, if so why? what about the contraceptive Minesse? I take calcium, Vitamin E, Folic Acid, Chromium and Vitamin C300mg daily, which should i stop taking before the op and when or how long before the time? Will i experience pain after the surgery?

THANK YOU!

Ria, the operation is so small that you don’t have to worry too much. Vitamin E may interfere with blood clotting leading to bleeding, but the operation is so small it shouldn’t be a problem. The same goes for Minesse® (it increases your chance of clotting). You can stop taking everything the day before the operation, but to be 100% sure the best would be to discuss it with the surgeon. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Yellow | 2005/06/27

I'v since heard that a malfunctioning thyroid can cause or is linked somehow to carpel tunnel, is this true and how is it linked, does the one cause the other or how is that? my doc told me that my typing job could not be the cause of the syndrome and i see every other article mentions repetitive strain can cause it? we are in the dark?

Reply to Yellow
Posted by: bibi | 2005/06/27

I also have a question re this, is it true that cold can bring on CPT i.e. if working directly under an airconditioning outlet and the wind blows on you?

Reply to bibi