Question
Posted by: maryna | 2005/12/06

Premmie-start walking-falling=brain turmor

Hi?

Iam a mother of a premmie,and just want to know does falling on the head have any affect on a premmie baby.my baby is now 11months and she is starting to walk now!
I've heard from a friend that she knows of a baby whos started walking at the age of 2 and was found out the baby had a brain turmor,this was from falling alot on her head?
I really am freak out about this,my baby is always falling,and we have a tile floor,with some matts.Is this true,that if you fall on the head(alot) your baby will get a brain turmor later on life?And does this affect my premmie baby also,but in a high level?

Please anyone I really need advice on this one?
Thanks very much!!!
Maryna

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Maryna

Babies fall when they start walking – this is normal. If the baby only started walking at the age of two, this milestone was already a bit delayed and with the information available to me, this might suggest that this particular baby, might have already had a problem and therefore only started walking a bit late. This will answer your question that is was not the walking and then falling that caused the brain tumor. Tumors do not developed as a result of falling – falling might start as a result of a tumor. Tumors develop as a result of abnormal tissue growth.

When a baby start walking they do not fall straight onto their heads, they usually fall on their hands or buttocks – no risk for head damage. If they do bump their head it is usually minor. Brain damage may occur in case of an motor vehicle accident or a baby being abused and thrown to the wall.

Premmies are also not at a higher risk for brain tumors. By 12 months (corrected age) your premmie would be close to his full term buddies that is 12 months old as well.

Please do not be worried. If you are uncertain you can have your baby evaluated by an occupational therapist specializing in premmies or your pediatrician.

Enjoy your little one!

1
Posted by: Kym | 2005/12/06

I must be honest I have never heard this one before. My son was consisting falling and having concussions and there is nothing wrong with him at all and he is 7 years old already.

I would not worry probably just ANOTHER old wives tale.

Reply to Kym