Question
Posted by: annie | 2005/12/05

premmie 32 wks gestation, suffering from weight loss/ slow weight gain

Hi, please help me if you can imy baby is premmie her age now is 1 year and 4 months she only weighs about 8kgs. her birth weight was 1.6 kilograms. i am very concerned she does not eat much and i am still breastfeeding. She has had a blood test and she has being found anemic. Is this the only problem for her lack of weight gain or could there be something else. Even with the iron supplement she is gaining very slowly or not at all. She has being seven to eight kgs for abou five months now. Please help i am very worried. She does not drink any formula milk at all.

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Annie

It is common for children to be anemic and especially for premmies. This definitely influences their weight gain and energy levels. Continue with the iron supplements and I hope she is on solids as well? You can give her more food with proteins like chicken and iron rich foods such as chicken liver (if she will take this), and dark green vegetables. I would suggest you also see a dietician that specializes in children for a healthy diet. Breastfeeding is very good, but at this age not enough without solids. You can also add a multi vitamin to her food or milk. Be careful for rooibos tea, since this may influence the absorption of iron. She can drink this, but diluted and in low volumes.

Please let me know how she is doing.