Question
Posted by: Nina | 2003/12/16

premenopause

Dr. C,

I am 31 years old and my menopausal screen results were that of premenopause.This concerns me as I am still young.
I started with my periods when was 9 years old,had a hysterectomy at 29. I am fit and healthy. I have severe asthma and using seretide 50/500 and singulair 10mg nacte. I know that all these factors will increase my risk for osteoporosis. Should I start taking hormonal replacement thearapy or are there any other alternatives that I can use to reduce these symptoms of hotflushes,severe tiredness, and mood changes....Thanx

It would be important to repeat the blood tests to be sure of the diagnosis. It is true that menopause occurs at an earlier age if you have had a hysterectomy. You are at risk for osteoporosis and you would be particularly young for this to happen, so it would be important to take HRT.