Question
Posted by: Ramonza | 2007/03/05

Premature ovarian failure?

Dear Fertility Expert

I hereby turn to you in desperation. I can ascertain from your answers to other posts that you are extremely knowlegeable and take time to explain the intricacies of infertility. Your patients are soo fortunate to have you as their specialist.

I am 30 years old and am ttc for 3 1/2 years. I have been on a couple of courses of Clomid (50-100mg), but response have been very poor. On 100mg, I develop no follicles, but on 50mg only 2-3 follicles-these are generally quite small. My prog level rarely exceeds 20. My last treatment was in Nov (100mg Clomid).

I have developed hot flushes, dry vagina, very moody and anxious amongst others. My cycles are coming shorter and shorter (last was only 22 days).

I have subsequently been diagnosed with ovarian resistance/premature ovarian failure- I am devastated!!!

i thus would like your opinion on my case considering my last D3 test (26/2) which was as foloows:

-FSH- 14.3
-LH- 4.7
-Estrogen- <75

Would you consider my situation as hopeless and would further clomid use be inappropriate?
Would the injectables give a better response.

Dear Ramonza

Based on the results and the history that you have volunteered, i would certainly not discount the possibility of a pregnancy. It would be however prudent to act hastily and not delay matters until the situation is much worse. My recommendation would be aperiod of down regulation to give the receptors some time to recruit and to RELAX. Thereafter I would recommend high dosage of stimulation and proceed to inf; ie harvesting of the eggs and fertilisation of such in a laboratory. In your case it may be even more feesible to do ivm(in vitro maturation) where we do not expect the eggs to grow to maturity but rather harvest them at a much earlier stage and allow maturation to take place in the laboratory. Although more expensive than clomid, this treatment option could be possibly more valuable since in some cases of ovarian resistance, follicles fail to mature beyond a certain stage and the eggs subsequently become non-fertilisable.