Our expert says:
You are a very considerate and caring wife. Premature Ejaculation or PE can be defined as an ejaculation that occurs with minimal stimulation before, during, or immediately after penetration and before the man wishes it, over which he has little or no voluntary control, which causes him and/or his partner bother or distress. In other words, there are three criteria to PE:
• Limited duration of intercourse
• Loss or absence of voluntary control
• marked distress, bother, or upset between partners
There have been many attempts to explain the cause/s of PE, but it is still unclear, and the following are suggested:
• Psychological: anxiety, early sexual experience, pressured, hasty initial sex acts, fear of discovery or punishment, lack of privacy, encouragement to hurry, lack of partner response, intense, prolonged petting so that the man is so highly aroused before entry that he is unable to delay ejaculation once penetration occurs
• Physical: low frequency of sexual activity, hypersensitivity of the penis, genetic predisposition
The treatments for PE include: the squeeze and stop/start techniques, anaesthetic creams, anti- depressant medication and counselling. These treatments are explained in great length on SASHA’s website: www.sexualhealth.co.za
Additionally, a Sexual Health professional can also provide assistance in this matter.
SASHA helpline (0860 100 262) for a referral list for practitioners in your area.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.