Posted by: Cobus | 2008/07/02

Premature Delivery

My name is Cobus, my wife went into full labour in her 26th week of pregnancy. The baby was delivered by means of a cecerean section and was is ICU for 2 and a half months. She is 10 months old now and is in exeptional good health. It was quite a traumatic time for all three of us. Numerous questions was asked to the gynie of what could have caused the problem but to no avail. The answers were mostly that it can nt be explained it just happened. We want to have more children but are afraid that it might happen again. Is there tests that we can get done to see if it might happen again or if either one of us is prone to concieve a child which will not be carried to full term.

Kind Regards

There are many causes of preterm labour : bladder infections, incompetent cervix, certain vaginal bacteria, too much liquor. If there was no obvious cause, the only thing you can do is to have a cervical length measurement in the next pregnancy and, if short, have a stitch put in, and have a vaginal swab to see the pattern of the vaginal bacteria.
Smoking is also a predisposing factor to this should be stopped if it applies.