Question
Posted by: Confused | 2007/03/14

Premature Baby and Legislation

According to a certain medical aid, which I phoned today, they said that it is legislation that if a baby is born premature and wheigh less than 2.5 kg, that no medical aid will pay for the baby's hospitlisation, doctors, etc.

Can this be true?

Dear Confusion
I have never heard of this - best would be to get a second opinion from another medical aid like Discovery too.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/14

Prem babies is a very controversial issue. The ruling might be more strict in government than in private hospitals. Government hospitals maintain that they cannot afford the cost of the equipment required for a prem newborn, given that in a lot of the cases the baby might not survive anyway. There was a case recently where a woman in the US gave birth at 22 weeks and the baby survived and went home!

Reply to anxious