Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2005/11/21

Premature Baby-

I am concerned about my premature baby that was born 2 yrs ago, he does not seem to be putting on wieght , althought he has reached all his milestones during the months, I feel that he is still so tiny and weak.
Will be put on wieght eventually and catch up with other children his age?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Concerned Mom

How premature was your baby born? The smaller he was at birht the smaller he can be later in life. Premmies does not necessarily cacth up on size, but luckily they do catch up on milestones and this is more important. At 2 yrs you can start comparing you premmie with children born at full term. They might still develop some learning difficulties or attention deficit disorder, but full term children develop this as well.

I you feel your child is weak I would suggest that you take him for a check-up to his paediatrician just to make sure everything is OK and make sure he is getting a healthy diet and extra vitamins.

Enjoy you little one