Question
Posted by: Thabo | 2004/11/26

Premature

I slept with a woman without a condom in June(01). The follwong month(July), she told me that she was pregnant with my baby. She called me in early this month (November11) saying that she got a baby apparently a premature. Is this my baby or not ? Please Advice

If you had unprotected sex in June, then a pregnancy in July could have occurred. The baby should have been about 27-29 weeks pregnant by now. I can't say whetheh this was your baby or not but if it was around this gestational age, it could be.

6
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/30

Jack,

Any baby born before 38 weeks is premature.

With modern technology a baby born from about 24 weeks could perhaps survive, though what the long term effects would be can't be told at that stage.
Its also about the weight of the baby and how far the lungs are developed.

If a woman goes into labour prematureley, they usually give a steroid injection to develop babies lungs if they can't stop the woman's labour.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Jack | 2004/11/26

Can someone tell how old a baby(feutus) should be to be regarded as a premature. How old the feutus should be to have the chance of survival ?

Reply to Jack
Posted by: Thabo | 2004/11/26

If that baby was more than 1.5kgs at birth, and needs no breathing assistance then it's not your child... unless you slept with her at any time before 1 June...?

Reply to Thabo
Posted by: Thabo | 2004/11/26

The baby is at home . . . how bizarre

Reply to Thabo
Posted by: Blue | 2004/11/26

It's very difficult to say for sure. But if the baby was born so early he/she is likely to stay in hospital for some time.

Only a paternity test will tell you for sure.

Reply to Blue
Posted by: Chez | 2004/11/26

You need to find out how far along she was when she had the baby.

I am now almost 19 weeks (monday). I had my last menstration on 17 July so that would make almost 5 ago I fell pregnant. According to calculations she would of been just over 6 months pg. As far as I know a fetus that age has hardly a chance of surviving but miracles do happen. Is the baby home? If it is then it is not your child and you should ask for a paternity test to be done. If the baby is still in hospital in an incubator, then there is a possibility that it could be yours.

But to be on the safe side rather ask for a paternity test to be done, to make absolutely sure.

I hope I have helped you. Good luck

Chez

Reply to Chez