Question
Posted by: Choices | 2005/11/24

Prem Triplets

My boys were born on 20 September 2004, and were 10 weeks prem. They spent 15 days in hospital. Their birth weights were 1, 1.1 and 1.2 kg each. My problem is that they do not seem to be picking up weight compared to singleton babies. They are now 9 weeks old and the heaviest boy only weighs 3.3kg. They drink 800ml of formula each a day. Am I just being overly concerned over nothing (they are identical trips)

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Choices

Thanks for the question. Weight gain is one of the things you as parent may be most concerned of. Like Terry answered, your babies are newborn now so you should not compare them with babies born at full term. You babies should pick up an average of 130 grams per week and you can rather calculate this over a month period, since some weeks they may use more energy on adjusting to warm whether, for example and pick up a little less and the next week they may pick up more, because their situation allows it.

As long as they pick up weight and is healthy you do not have to be concerned. Your babies will “catch-up” by two or maximum three years of age and some premmies stay small. Give them time, but react on your instinct is you are concerned that something may not be right.

Enjoy them!

2
Posted by: Terry | 2005/11/25

If your boys were 10 weeks prem but now weigh over 3kgs and are 9 weeks old, then they are approx the weight of a newborn so they would appear to be on target weight wise. Remember they might be 2 months old but are only now newborns!
Your clinic sister should also be able to monitor their growth to ensure they're gaining correctly.

Reply to Terry
Posted by: Landi | 2005/11/24

Sorry to interfere doc, Choices is my friend - the boys were born in September 2005.

Reply to Landi