Posted by: Lisa | 2008/10/08

pregnant without even knowing it???

hi doctor

my cousin just popped out a baby today and she didnt even know she was pregnant! her weight did pick up alot but she swears she still had her period throught the pregnancy. can this be true? none of us believe her! she went to the hospital this morning complaining of stomach cramps and the doctor said it was her appendix and as he walked out the room so out popped this 3.5kg baby. how is this even possible??

Hi Lisa
It always amazes me too, as babies do move inside your uterus when growing and I can't imagine that you can't feel this! I think some women go into total denial, especially if the baby is unplanned. Most women do not menstruate when pregnant as menstruation is caused by shredding of the uterus lining ( which can't happen when you are pregnant) They may have other bleeds (from cervix infection for instance ) but this won't be regular and monthly. In overweight women the growth of the uterus may be less obvious ( how the doctor diagnosed this as an appendix also sounds a bit incredible unless he did not even examine her properly!)