Question
Posted by: please help me | 2006/04/03

Pregnant with married man's child

I hope someone here can help me. The father of my child wants to do a paternity test once my baby is born. Unfortunately this puts me in a very difficult position because I have no one to rely on financially as he has not contributed to any medical costs etc. since we found out that I'm expecting. We also live in two cities 1000km apart from each other. I don't know how soon he'll be here once the baby is born. He could postpone the tests as long as he sees fit.

My concerns are these: Once we do the tests and get the test results and I go to the maintenance court, can I be backpaid the maintenance amounts for the months that he didn't contribute? I'm also keeping all receipts of goods that I've bought for our little girl thus far. Will he be obliged to pay 50% of this as I'd like for him to take responsibility for his actions because I'm taking responsibility for mine.

Waiting for your reply...

its not clear --- if this man the father of your child ? If so, he has a cheekl demanding a paternity test, but presumably it'd suit you well to have it done --- then go to court and compel him to pay full maintenance for the child. And to pay for the medical expenses of the pregnancy and delivery. You also need a legal opinion, but surely he will be liable to pay maintenance from the start --- how could the law encourage a deadbeat dad to save money by delaying the start of payments ? Others among our readers will be familiar with the details --- but I think he may need to share the expenses with you, not necessarily 50/50, but in the proportion of his earnings to yours, which may leave him with a bigger share to pay

1
Posted by: TheMan | 2006/04/03

Another love-affair (or shall I say LUST affair) gone bust! And who is going to be the person in the midst of the battle - The poor child. Why didn't you have any concerns prior to falling pregnant? Can you blame the guy for wanting a paternity test? You live 1000 km apart so it could be another man's child and you are trying to nail this guy.
As far as your questions are concerned, go to the Maintenance court - They will advise you free of charge.
Remember, there is a liitle life growing inside you - do not make it the symbol of money!

Reply to TheMan