Question
Posted by: Sam | 2004/01/16

Pregnant & thinking about sterilisation after baby

I'm 18 weeks preg. & I think it's time for sterilisation after my baby's born. This will be my 3rd child and I'm not getting younger. I've got 2 girls and hoping this would be a boy, if not, I'll still sterilise myself. I've just got some question relating to that please doc.
1. Can they do it right after I give birth.
2. Would I still need to use some form of contraception afterwards.
3. Will I still get my period (plesae say no).
4. Hope it won't be too painful, will I have the energy to care for my baby.

It can be done the day after the birth. You would not need to use any other contraception afterwards. You will still have periods. All that is done is that the tubes are tied so the egg and the sperm cannot meet. It is a relatively minor operation so should not be very painful and should not interefere with your energy levels.

3
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/16

Hi Sam

My eldest sister has a friend who thought that her family was complete so her husband went for a vasectomy. Tragicaly her eldest child was killed when crossing a road. They decided to have another child and fortunately the reversal of the vasectomy worked. Sterilization reversal for women is not very successful. Even though you think that your family is complete you never know what life is going to throw at you. Having a baby to replace another child is not right but other things could happen. Why not speak to your gynae about "mirena". it is a contraceptive that is placed into your womb, it lasts 5 years and in most women stops their period completely after a few months.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/16

Hi Sam
I am also 19 weeks pregnant and also have two girls - when are you going to know if you are expecting a boy/girl?
We went twice now, but the baby does not want to show us!

Concerning your sterilisation - why dont you rather go on to the injection - nuristerate - I am very against it if you are planning a baby, but now that you have had yours, it is an option as you do not have any periods and you go every 2 months. It is very cheap too, I think something like R10 at clinics.
I am defnitely going back on it when the baby is born, I do not want to take drastic steps in sterilisation.

Good luck!!!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/16

My mother had her tubes tied after her third child was born. They did it straight after the caeser and she has never had to use contraceptives again. However, she regrets it terribly and wishes she had not done it. She still got her periods and said that the caeser caused her pain afterwards and not the tubes!

Reply to Kate