Question
Posted by: lionel | 2004/10/15

pregnant mothers who smoke

Please send me info on the effects of mothers who smoke during pregnancy, ie what effect smoking would have on the babys brain developement, learning disabilities etc.

The effects vary and include growth developmental problems and cot death along with those you have mentioned.

2
Posted by: minifant | 2004/10/17

Two of my friends who smoke during pregnancy both their babies had a low birth weight and had problems with their lungs.

Reply to minifant
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/15

I know there are lots of effects. Here are the ones I know.

It reduces the amount of oxygen that the baby gets, this can result in a low birth weight, there are various problems associated with low birth weight.

Nicotine is a poison, so this must affect the brain in some way.

I'm sure gynaedoc will be able to fill us in on this further.

Reply to Purple