Question
Posted by: preg | 2005/12/09

Pregnant - headaches

Hi. I use to get these terrible headaches. Went a way for a while. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and for the last 2 weeks I have been getting these terrible headaches. They even make me nausea at times. I wake up any time from 2 in the morining with them and they last the whole day maby even to the next day or to. Panados do not work. The doc gave me something for allergies, sinus spray. It does not work. I though it was the milk wich I only have porridge with and maby a bit of cheese during the day. But it is not that either. What could I do? Thanks so much

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Preg,

Unfortunately migraines often get worse during the first three months of a pregnancy. The encouraging thing is that after the first three months, they very often improve and may disappear for the duration of the pregnancy.

Medication is not the best remedy at any time, and during pregnancy one has to be much more careful. If you suffer from headaches, the answer is not to rely on medication or painkillers! The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the causes of the headache. If the causes are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication. This is true even during a pregnancy.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, we have combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town).