Question
Posted by: sambinoct | 2005/01/12

pregnant, don't sleep at night

I am 29 wks pregnant and haven't been sleeping at night for about the last month now. It really hurts when I change position in bed at night. So that wakes me up every 5 minutes. The pain is between my legs. Spoken to my gynae about it and he says it comes with the territory. But do I have to be in so much pain for another 2 months! I can hardly get out of bed. I have to roll myself out of bed. Is there something I can take especailly at night to alleviate pain so I can catch some zzzz's? Is there some excersise I can do, anything will be much appreciated.

You can take Panado and a physiotherapist may be able to help.

5
Posted by: sambinoct | 2005/01/14

Thanx for all the advice guys. At least now I know that it's normal and I don't need to worry, just take care of myself. Kippie, you hit the hammer on the nail. I can hardly get a panty on (lol) Will try all your advise.

Reply to sambinoct
Posted by: rene | 2005/01/13

I'm 30 weeks and also don't get much sleep at night. I go to the toilet every hour on the hour and then to crown it all I pulled my calf muscle in my sleep this morning. I thought I was going to pee myself wet from the pain. My muscle was so stiff it got knotted into a ball. This morning I feel as if I ran a marathon.

I went to the pharmacy to get some Calcium/Magnesium tablets. I hope it helps.

As for sleeping positions. I lay on my side and hug another pillow kind of leaning on it, so it looks like I am laying in the recovery position. This is what they recommended during my antenatal classes. As for getting out of bed, that is another story (I look and feel like a beach trying to climb a stair). If you are lying down, move as close to the edge of the bed as possible, then swing your legs on the floor and push the top part of your body up with you arm. It's easier on the back. I seems to help for me.

I was going to work till 2 weeks before my due date but changed my mind, I will take a month off before. I am way too tired.

Rene

Reply to rene
Posted by: Norma | 2005/01/13

Try to sleep in a "sit" position. Don't worry, you are almost there...

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/01/13

I had severe pain between my legs, could not go up stairs, struggled to even get a panty on as I could only lift my feet up to a certain height - know exactly what you are talking about - also the hip pains.
Take two panados before you go to bed - advice from my gynae, and then prop yourself up with pillows and sleep in a almost sitting position.
I did this for 2 months before giving birth as I could simple not lie down because of the pain when I even just shifted my legs. This is also an easier position to get up from if you have to go to the loo. Simply move one leg slowly untill it is off the bed.

Hang in there, it is all worth it and it dissapears staight after the birth!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Francis | 2005/01/13

Sorry to inform you that no you can't take anything. I am now 34.5 weeks and sleep not more than 3 - 4 hours in total at night.

My hips are killing me and going to loo alot. I try to go and rest in my lunch break and that helps a bit. If your pain gets worse maybe you must go on maternity leave sooner. I am trying to work up until 37 weeks.

Reply to Francis