Question
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/13

Pregnant cat

Hi can anyone tell me why my male cat keeps wanting to mate my pregnant cat he is driving me insane!!

It may be due to the hormones the female has. Is the male neutered? Are you a breeder of cats?

6
Posted by: Sheryl | 2007/08/15

Hi Dee

Rather sterilise them both, sterilised cats are more content,
healthier and live longer. The female can be spayed about a
month after weaning, but she can fall pregnant again during this
time, so neuter the male now so that this doesn't happen - his hormones take a couple of weeks after neutering to subside.

Good Luck

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/15

Thank you all for your input I will contact my Vet to ask him if I can pay it off, my cats are indoor cats so he won't go out making other cats pregnant would it be ok just to neuter him and leave her unspayed??

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Joni | 2007/08/14

Try the PDSA, they do it really cheaply too, and will do a means assessment on you & you pay accordingly.

Unsterilised Cats (male & female) run the risk of Sexually Transmitted diseases too, FIV & Leukeamia are just too and caring for a cat with a compromised immune system is very very expensive, and as everyone else has said kittens cost more than sterilising.

Please we have soo soo many unwanted animals if you're not breeding selectively (for improvement of a specific breed or show quality) but purely because you can't afford to have them sterilised, you're being irresponsible.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Sheryl | 2007/08/14

Hi Dee

The price of not sterilising is more likely to be astronomical - have you considered with the male cat all the abcesses you would
have to pay for because of him going out and fighting.
With the female - pregnancy is a risk - are you prepared to take
her to the vet if she has problems? There is also the extra cost
of good quality food and deworming for mother cat and
kittens, each time she has kittens. What if there is a problem
with the kittens themselves?
Speak to your vet, most will let you pay off the bill especially
if it is for sterilising.

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/14

Hi no I am not a breader and no he is not neutered, I would love to have her spayed but the cost is astronomical even at the SPCA. Thanks guys

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Sheryl | 2007/08/13

Hi Dee

Have him neutered if you have not already done so - this will
help a lot with his behaviour. Also, it would be kindest to spay
your female cat after this litter - visit your closest spca sometime
and see how many unwanted cats there are because people don't
sterilise.

Reply to Sheryl