Question
Posted by: Jax | 2003/03/06

PREGNANT BUT IN NEED OF MEDICATION FOR DEPRESSION

My partner left the day after we found out we were pregnant. I refused his offer to pay for an abortion and wish to have my child. However, I'm having severe difficulty coping with the loss of my partner. I'm 8,5 weeks pregnant and doubt there's any safe medication for deep depression. I've become irrational and agressive (hormones don't help!) - so much so that I threw a chair at him yesterday and rammed my car into his car - on purpose. I'm not inherently agressive and we never used to scream and curse at each other. I need to get a grip before I get into more trouble or worse, lose my baby. Please can you advise if there's any medication safe enough to take during the early stages of pregnancy? I'm tense, tired, tearful, and well ... just starting to lose it!

If you feel depressed, rather than moody, consulting a psychotherapist may help. Amitriptiline and Prozac are both safe in pregnancy.