Question
Posted by: Less | 2003/12/15

Pregnant and worried

Hi Everyone,

I just found out that I am pregnant. from a doc, but my problem is he used a home tester when can I go for a sonar, to see how far along I am? I am very excited, this will be my first child. I am getting most of the symtopms already, all I know is that I am about 5 weeks, please advise as to what is next? I am also worried about my weight as I fairly overweight will this not affect my baby?

I will really appreciate your help

The first scan is usually done between 8 and 12 weeks. You should phone and arrange an appointment with the person who will be looking after your pregnancy. Being overweight carries a higher risk of diabetes but otherwise should not affect your pregnancy.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2003/12/15

Make an appointment with a gynaecologist. S/he will confirm your pregnancy by sonar and your ante-natal care can begin. Just phone the doctor who did the urine test and ask them to refer you to a gynae, or ask around amongst your friends for a recommendation.

You should take folic acid tablets to prevent neural tube defects, and should take a multi-vitamin for pregnant women. Both of which are available from your pharmacy without prescription. Some of the multivitamins have sufficient folic acid in them - just ask the pharmacist for advice.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: ciska | 2003/12/15

Hi.

Congratulations!

I don't really think that your weight can harm your baby. My friend is fairly overweight and she has a beautiful little girl!
Just relax and take it easy.

Good luck!

Reply to ciska