Question
Posted by: deb | 2006/04/17

Pregnant and no medical aid

Hi, is it possible to join a medical aid after falling pregnant?
What will the penalities be and how much cover will I get? The pregnancy wasn't planned and was actually living overseas at the time and on returning to SA found out that was/am pregnant?

Need to Know ASAP

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Deb.

it will be possible to join a medical scheme without waiting periods. Just go to www.optivest.co.za and request a quotation and mention how many weeks you are pregnant.

2
Posted by: shar | 2006/04/24

I am pregnant but my medical aid just expired as i am not a student anymore im currently 9 weeks and will be needing a C - section please advise me on if there is a medical aid who can cover me

Regards desperate for help

Reply to shar
Posted by: Sharon | 2006/04/21

I had the same problem - fell pregnant with no medical aid. I contacted a few Medical Aids - none of which were prepared to accept me already pregnant! I ended up having a home water birth for which i paid under R5000. I was also able to pay this off over the course of my pregnancy. It was a wonderful experience and i had qualified midwives supervising the birth. If you cannot find a medical aid, this could be an option provided you have no pregnancy complications.

Reply to Sharon