Question
Posted by: Chloe | 2007/12/13

Pregnant and needed some advice

Morning

Please can you assist me. I am 16 weeks pregnant and last year suffered from many UTI's - I am TERRIFIED of them as they develop so quickly. within a hour of noticing the frequent need to urinate and the smell of the urine, I notice blood and puss in my urine. I have been extremely cautious by showering only, emptying my bladder after intercourse, wearing cotton undies, using hypoallergenic soaps, drinking cranberry juice etc. My husband and I will be going on holiday to a place 2 hours from the nearest city/ medical facility and i was wondering if it would be okay to ask my gynae for a course of medication incase i develop one?

Also, my assistant was off work for 5 days with gastro - he was sick for 7 days and by day 3 on a drip to hydrate. What sort of time span lapses before i can stop worrying that i will get it? If i do get it, i imagine that i will be unable to use imodium?

Sorry for all the q's

You can ask for a prophylactic course of antibiotics. It does sound like you should see a urologist for further investigations to see if there is an underlying cause for the UTIs. You will have to wiat till after the pregnancy for this.
You would have got the gastro by now if you were going to catch it from your colleague.

2
Posted by: Max | 2007/12/14

My gynae said immodium is completely safe during pregnancy (just in case you do get it) but you should really only worry if you do. I went to my chemist and he showed me in his book that immodium is safe during pregnancy.

For the UTI's, you should also try drinking lots of cranberry juice.

I am going to an exotic country for my Christmas holiday and I was worried that i might pick up something from the food. I didn't want to rely on their health care services so my doctor prescribed medication (immodium etc). If I was you, I would chat to your doc or even your chemist. They can get you something and it might put your mind at ease.

Enjoy your holiday!

Reply to Max
Posted by: gina | 2007/12/13

dont think about asking your gyne do it ! as it can be treated. if you start feeling like having a bug see a gyne as soon as possible, a stomic bug is usully in the air so there is a good chanse that one might get it, drink a lot of fluid and see a profesinal asap.

Reply to gina