Question
Posted by: mushroom | 2005/06/29

pregnant and have been told i'm overweight!

dear dietdoc,
i went my gynae for my 7 week check up and has told me i am overweight and of coursbut he has said that as i am overweight i can only gain another 3. thus he suggested i go on a diet, and that it wont hurt baby. i know i am eating too much and wouldn't mind slimming down a bit. will it really not hurt baby? also please recommend a good diet to follow in my case. i am on calcium supplements and a preg vit and min. thanks dietdoc.

Dear Mushroom
Congratulations on your pregnancy. When you commence a pregnancy being overweight, you should generally not gain more than 7 to 11,5 kg over the 9 month period. If you were obese when you commenced your pregnancy then you should only gain 6 kg over the 9 months. You will know which one of these scenarios is applicable to you. It is always better to consult a clinical dietitian to work out an individual diet for you when you are pregnant (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can ensure weight loss or maintenance of your present weight while still providing all the nutrients you and baby require. You could also try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add another 2 cups of fat-free milk to this diet because you are pregnant. Ask the dr if you are allowed to do exercise and also what type of exercise he would recommend (e.g. going for walks of swimming) that will not harm the baby and start being more active.
Enjoy your pregnancy

1
Posted by: mushroom | 2005/06/29

dietdoc,
i forgot to mention i am 25, 166cm and am weighing 80kg at 8 weeks pregnancy! yikes! i know animals have all sorts of problems during birth when they are overfat (dystochia) and i dont want such problems (as well as all the other problems such as gestational diabetes, blood pressure etc).

Reply to mushroom