Question
Posted by: Rene | 2007/06/21

Pregnant and dying of Extreme Nausia

Dear Doc,
Im writing for a friend who asked for advice. She is nearly 3 months pregnant and has extreme nausia - so bad that she can't even go out anywhere and is weighing 47 kilo's although she
has always been fit and slim. What can she take for this condition as she is so depressed and is almost regretting falling pregnant even though it was a planned pregnancy through fertility treatment. PLEASE HELP, normal advice from other doc's hasn't helped.
Regards and thank you
Rene

The dietary suggestions form the other respondents may help. If it is really severe, there are medications like Vomifine. It does tend to get better after 12 weeks.

3
Posted by: Yolande | 2007/06/23

I had the same thing. Went for 5 AI's that failed and one IVF that worked and have never been sicker. I waited 5 yrs to be so sick. Trust me I know what it is like. It does get better. The best thing is to keep a full stomach. Drink lots of juices and water. No gas drinks. Dry biscuits help first thing in the morning and I found that eating grapes when I woke up worked. Worth trying! Fatty food make it worse and eat what you feel like otherwise you wont get anything down. Dr's said drink appeltizer but that made it worse. I had it till about 14 weeks. Hang in there. The best is to listen to your body.

Reply to Yolande
Posted by: 011 | 2007/06/22

I have been going through the same. The toilet has been my best friend for the last couple of weeks. What has worked for me is Vomofene tablets and avoiding oily unhealthy foods and eating lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. Toast with marmite also works and pro-vitas or pretzils ect (salty). She must hang in there, it does get better after about 12 - 14 weeks. Good luck

Reply to 011
Posted by: cc | 2007/06/21

Hi there,
Shame, I know what your friend is going through. Tell her to stay strong. She must avoid trigger foods and smells. Make sure she always has dry biscuits or pretzels to munch on. When she isnt feeling sick, she must snack on proper food. There is also a tablet that she can take called Vomifene. As far as I know it is safe to take.

Enjoy!

Reply to cc