Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2004/01/12

Pregnant & Alcohol

Doc, or anybody.

I am 17 weeks pregnant. Old years eve I had 1 glass of champainge. I don't use alcohol everyday, I would like drink one glass of wine or a beer every 4days and sometimes a week apart. I smoke 4 cigarettes a day. But I am terrified because on Saturday I had 6 beers (I don't know what got into me) But I feel terribly guilty and I should, what was I thinking? I am so scared I have harmed my baby? Please give advice, I know I cannot turn back the clock and whatever damage I've done I will have to live with it. But this won't every happen again.

It is hard to say what one episode of heavy drinking will do to the fetus. Try to avoid all alcohol from now on. You should try to stop smoking as well.

2
Posted by: www | 2004/01/12

Having one glass of wine in a week or two weeks, should be okey, but drinking on a regular basis is very detramental to your baby's health. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is a terrible thing to have done to your baby so for your baby's sake, don't exceed that limit.

As long as you smoke 4 or less a day, it is still okey, but what worries me is if you drink more, you tend to smoke more, so this is a very destructive cycle.

The best thing for you baby would be to quit alcohol and smoking completely - this is a fact. Although I struggled with the smoking bit, but in consultation with my gynae we reached a good ultimatum and it worked for me and my baby.

Please look after yourself, because in so doing, you're also looking after you baby who is completely dependant on you for everything it needs.

Reply to www
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/12

YOU HAVE GOTTA BE KIDDING!!!???

This is not acceptable behaviour when pregnant, stop being so selfish with your actions! You have a tiny baby trying so hard to grow and you are polluting your body with toxins.

Read this forum and you may realise just how many women are trying to fall pregnant and would do anything they could to have a healthy baby. You on the other hand have fallen pregnant and with your selfish behaviour are not giving your baby what it needs and taking away its chances of a health beginning.

Yes, what you are doing is unhealthy for the baby. Stop drinking and smoking now! There are no excuses!!

Why don't you do some research on the net regarding the effects of alcohol on a growing fetus?

Reply to Kate